It’s time to dust off those ball bags! MLB spring training has commenced.
Pitchers and catchers are starting to report to Arizona and Florida for all 30 teams with Opening Day on March 25.
Rosters are getting finalized and every team’s new offseason additions are getting their reps in — not to mention the much anticipated World Baseball Classic that will see the world’s best players compete on the international stage.
Here are all the notable news and last-minute dealings as teams ramp up to Opening Day:
Feb. 16
Padres Sign RHP Walker Buehler to minor league deal
The San Diego Padres signed right-handed pitcher Walker Buehler to a minor league deal on Monday. After seven seasons with the Los Angeles Dodgers, including two World Series victories, Buehler struggled in 2025. He started 22 games for the Boston Red Sox, earning a 7-7 record. The Red Sox released him midseason, and the Philadelphia Phillies picked him up before the end of the season.
Twins RHP Pablo Lopez ends bullpen session early
Lopex ended a bullpen session early Monday over what team manager said was “a little bit of elbow soreness.” López, who turns 30 next month, threw two-plus innings before shutting things down. He was considered ahead of schedule in preparations to join Venezuela for the WBC. López has been the opening day starter for the Twins the past three seasons. He was limited to 75 2/3 innings last year, with three stints on the injured list for hamstring, shoulder and forearm issues. The 2023 All-Star had made 32 starts in each season from 2022-24, the first of those with Miami before a pair with Minnesota. Lopez was 5-4 with a 2.74 ERA last season. He won 10 games in each of the previous three seasons, capped by a career-best 15 in 2024.
Mike Trout wants to return to center field for Angels
Trout says he would prefer to return to center field for the Angels, and the star slugger says he will skip the WBC because of insurance issues. The 11-time All-Star, who been plagued by injuries since 2021, says his familiar position isn’t as physically demanding as the corner outfield spots, contrary to traditional thinking.
Trout played his most games since 2019 last season, finishing at 130. The three-time American League MVP started 22 of his first 29 games in right field before a knee injury sidelined him for a month. The 34-year-old was exclusively a designated hitter when he returned in late May.
Trout had 26 home runs but hit just .232, by far the worst average of his career when he had at least 400 at-bats.
He spent time in left field early in his career but was a center fielder for 11 consecutive seasons before the switch to right. Injuries limited Trout to 111 games the previous two years.
Trout said conversations with first-year manager Kurt Suzuki have included the idea of a return to center.
“I feel like I’m at my best when I’m in center,” Trout told reporters at the club’s spring training facility Monday. “If I have to go to the corner, I’ll go to the corner.”
Trout believes a return to center will be good for his health.
Padres extend GM A.J. Preller
The Padres have agreed on a multiyear contract extension with their general manager, who has the second-longest tenure among baseball operations chiefs in the big leagues behind Brian Cashman of the Yankees.
The Padres, who announced the deal Monday without disclosing terms, have made the postseason four of the past six years following a stretch of 13 seasons without reaching the playoffs that started in 2007, seven years before the club hired Preller. Cashman has been general manager of the Yankees since 1998.
The 48-year-old Preller, who also has the title of president of baseball operations, has presided over the free agent signings of Manny Machado and Xander Bogaerts; trades that landed the likes of Fernando Tatis Jr. and Juan Soto; and a farm system that produced center fielder Jackson Merrill, who was an All-Star as a rookie in 2024.
The Padres are coming off consecutive 90-win seasons for the first time in club history and have set attendance records at Petco Park each of the past three seasons. San Diego reached the National League championship series in 2022, losing to Philadelphia in five games.
“Under his guidance, our organization has continued to invest in elite talent at both the major and minor league levels while building a strong baseball operations, scouting and player development group,” Padres chairman John Seidler said. “We are confident he will continue to tirelessly pursue the first World Series championship for San Diego.”
Feb. 14
San Diego is signing Castellanos to a one-year deal two days after the veteran outfielder was released by the Phillies, according to The Athletic. Castellanos, who will primarily play first base for the Padres, was released by the Phillies prior to entering the final season of a five-year, $100 million deal. Last season, the 33-year-old right fielder totaled 17 home runs, 72 RBIs and -0.8 wins above replacement, while posting a .250/.294/.400 slash line.
The Padres have also signed Canning to a one-year deal. Canning made 16 starts last season for the Mets, posting a 3.77 ERA and 1.38 WHIP before suffering a season-ending ruptured left Achilles tendon.
Feb. 13
The right-hander has signed a one-year, $22 million deal to stay with the Diamondbacks, according to multiple reports. Gallen, a 2023 All-Star, posted a career-high 4.83 ERA last season. From 2022-24, he averaged a 3.20 ERA and 1.09 WHIP per season and was the D-backs’ ace en route to them winning the National League pennant in 2023.
Hader played catch again Friday after the six-time All-Star LHP dealt with biceps tendinitis while throwing bullpen sessions in the offseason. Astros manager Joe Espada said Hader, who missed the end of last season with a shoulder capsule strain, had stopped playing catch after a series of offseason bullpens before getting to Florida for the start of spring training this week. The 31-year-old Hader was 6-2 with 28 saves and a 2.05 ERA in 48 appearances last season, his second since joining the Astros in free agency. His last game was a two-inning outing against the Yankees on Aug. 8, which was before Houston missed the playoffs for the first time in nine seasons.
The Blue Jays acquired outfielder Jesús Sánchez from the Astros for outfielder Joey Loperfido on Friday. The 28-year-old Sánchez hit .237 with 14 home runs and 48 RBIs in 134 games last season between the Marlins and Astros. The left-handed hitter has 73 home runs in 580 games over six major league seasons.
Loperfido, 26, split last season between Toronto and Triple-A Buffalo, batting .333 in 41 games with the Blue Jays. He has appeared in 122 career major league contests between Houston and Toronto.
Feb. 12
Hernandez has signed a one-year deal worth $4.5 million to stay with the Dodgers through the season. Hernandez, 34, has played nine of his 12 major league seasons with the Dodgers. Last season, he hit .203 with 10 home runs and 35 RBIs in 92 games during which he played in the outfield, first base, second base and third base.
Philadelphia announced that it has released Castellanos. It was reported that Philly was trying to trade the right fielder, but it was to no avail. Castellanos, a two-time All-Star, was reportedly told not to report to the Phillies’ Spring Training facility as the parties worked toward a resolution. Castellanos is coming off a 2025 campaign where he totaled 17 home runs, 72 RBIs and a career-low -0.8 wins above replacement, while posting a .250/.294/.400 slash line.
The Dodgers have signed Muncy to a one-year, $10 million guaranteed extension, the team announced. It includes a $7 million salary for 2027 and a $10 million team option for 2028. Last season, Muncy, a two-time All-Star who has won three World Series with the Dodgers, totaled 19 home runs, 67 RBIs and 3.6 wins above replacement in 100 regular-season wins, while posting a .243/.376/.460 slash line. He missed time due to knee and oblique injuries. Muncy then hit three home runs in the postseason en route to the Dodgers winning the 2025 World Series.
Feb. 11
The Orioles and pitcher Chris Bassitt agreed to a one-year deal worth $18.5 million. Bassitt spent the last three seasons with the Blue Jays. In 2025, he finished 11-9 with a 3.96 earned runs average. Bassitt was an All-Star with the Athletics during the 2021 season and led the American League with 16 wins in 2023.
The Mets are optimistic that Lindor will recover for opening day after having surgery to repair a broken hamate bone in his left hand. Lindor is the third prominent player to suffer hamate bone injuries in the opening week of spring training.
Carroll won’t play for Team USA in the WBC after breaking his right hamate bone in batting practice. Carroll is having surgery for the injury and could begin the 2026 regular season on the injured list. Carroll, a two-time All-Star who was set to play in his first WBC for Team USA, has led the National League in triples in each of the last three seasons.
The former No. 1 draft pick will have surgery to repair a broken hamate bone in his right hand and will miss Opening Day. O’s president of baseball operations Mike Elias said that Holliday sustained the injury during batting practice. He also said that third baseman Jordan Westburg is recovering from a right oblique injury that could delay his participation in spring training games. Holliday, 22, hit .242 with 17 home runs, 55 RBIs and 17 stolen bases in 2025.
The switch-hitting outfielder will miss the next five-to-six months due to left labral surgery, manager John Schneider announced. Santander, who’s entering the second season of a five-year, $92.5 million deal, was limited to just 59 combined games in 2025 (regular and postseason) due to a shoulder injury. In the regular season, he totaled just six HRs, 18 RBIs and -1 wins above replacement, while posting a .175/.271/.294 slash line. In 2024, Santander was an All-Star for the Orioles, hitting a career-high 44 HRs and averaging 35 HRs and 95.3 RBIs per season from 2022-24.
Feb. 10
Rockies‘ Kris Bryant on 60-Day IL
The Rockies will continue to be without one of their oft-injured big signings through at least two months after Bryant landed on the 60-day injured list due to a degenerative lumbar disc disease (lower back). The slugger has appeared in just 170 games with the Rockies since agreeing to a $182 million, seven-year contract in March 2022.
In other news, the Rockies added Japanese pitcher Tomoyuki Sugano to their rotation, agreeing to a $5.1 million, one-year contract with the right-hander. Sugano, 36, went 10-10 with a 4.64 ERA in 30 starts with the Orioles last year. He pitched in Japan before agreeing to a $13 million, one-year contract with the O’s in December 2024. Sugano played for the Yomiuri Giants for 12 seasons, winning three MVP awards in Nippon Professional Baseball’s Central League.
Mets president of baseball operations David Stearns announced that Soto will be shifting from right field to left field next season. Soto has extensive experience at both corner outfield positions but has primarily started in right field over the last two years. Last season was Soto’s first with the Mets and saw him total -7 defensive runs saved in right field. At the same time, the six-time Silver Slugger totaled a career-high 43 home runs, 105 RBIs, a National League-high 38 stolen bases and 6.2 wins above replacement, while posting a .263/.396/.525 slash line.
It’s a full-circle moment for the 43-year-old future Hall of Famer, who returns to the club where he became a breakout star. The three-time Cy Young winner inked a one-year deal with the Tigers for $13 million. Verlander’s 266 wins are tied with Bob Feller and Eppa Rixey for 34th on baseball’s career list, while his 3,553 career strikeouts are eighth and closely trailing Don Sutton with 3,574. Verlander now bolsters an already stacked rotation that includes two-time Cy Young winner Tarik Skubal and Framber Valdez, who also signed with Detroit in free agency. Verlander was traded to Houston in August 2017 and helped the Astros win the World Series that same year and again in 2022. Now he gets an opportunity to chase a third championship with the Tigers, who are looking for the franchise’s first title since 1984.
Feb. 9
Marte said he remains happy staying with Arizona despite an offseason of speculation that the All-Star could be traded. “We talked a lot and hashed some things out, talked it all through and everything is great,” Marte said ahead of reporting to spring training early. “[GM] Micro [Hazen] Sé que amo al defensor D, amo a mis compañeros de equipo. Todo el mundo sabe qué tipo de jugador soy y estoy feliz de que haya funcionado y [that] Estoy aquí.”
Hazen dijo que ha escuchado ofertas pero que un posible acuerdo “nunca ha terminado tan bien”.
“Siento que tengo que hacer mi trabajo sólo para escuchar lo que la gente tiene que decir”, dijo Hazen. “Es un jugador superestrella para nosotros, lo ha sido durante mucho tiempo y seguirá siéndolo”.
Durante sus nueve temporadas en diamanteMarte formó parte de tres equipos All-Star, ganó dos premios Silver Slugger, terminó tercero (2024) y cuarto (2019) en la votación del Premio MVP de la Liga Nacional, además de ser nombrado MVP de la Serie de Campeonato de la Liga Nacional 2023. Marte se unirá al CMB República Dominicana.
El equipo confirmó que Saalfrank se perderá la temporada tras una operación en el hombro. Se espera que el jugador de 28 años sea una parte clave del bullpen del equipo después de compilar una efectividad de 1.24 en 28 apariciones la temporada pasada. Es otro golpe para el cuerpo de lanzadores, que ya se queda sin relevistas AJ Puk Y Justin Martínezjunto con el as inicial Corbin ardedurante los primeros meses de la temporada. Los tres se están recuperando de una operación de codo y esperan regresar en verano. Saalfrank calificó la cirugía como una “píldora difícil de tragar”, y agregó que “el juego de béisbol puede ser brutal, pero también me brindó algunos de los mejores momentos de mi vida, y no espero que eso cambie en el futuro”.
La Prensa Asociada contribuyó a este informe.















